______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, October 19, 2009

Homesick for Hosmers

FTC Disclosure: The author did not receive any promotional consideration from the vendor mentioned in this post, nor were complimentary goods or services obtained from the vendor, or exchanged in trade by the author. All items were purchased at fair market value at a retailer. The opinions and views mentioned below are solely of this blogger, and are not the views of the vendor, its parent, affiliate, and/or subsidiary companies. yada yada yada ... whatever people! Happy now?

It's only been a few days, and I'm already homesick for Hosmers. That would be Hosmer Mountain Sodas to those of you not from the Quiet Corner of the Nutmeg State.

Before there was a whole movement around locally made, artisanal, "green," gourmet "brews," almost 100 years of Connecticut folks were enjoying this soda maker. I was fortunate to grow up in the town where it is still made. In the staff room of my high school, there was one of those old 1950s era vending machines, where soda was just a quarter. During late night play and musical rehearsals, we would sneak into the lounge and buy a bottle. Cracking the cap and sucking down an ice cold orange soda or an authentic root beer was just the best thing to wet your whistle after a long session.

The soda is the kind of small-town, old-fashioned treat that you really begin to miss, and greatly appreciate, once you can't get it very readily. Other regions of the state and country may have their own brews and blends, but I remain loyal to my Hosmers. Every once in a while I get a serious craving, and although I can purchase something similar by a competitor, for me the best is still Hosmers, especially their Birch beer. YUMMY wintergreeny delight in a bottle. [You can buy cases to be shipped to you too, but since you're shipping glass, the freight costs are prohibitive!]

Last Saturday my visiting out-of-town sister-in-law and I found ourselves on the back road leading to the bottling center, just as my brother happened to call in from Nevada. She had been exposed to the joy of Hosmers thanks to the family, and we decided to taunt him (and please ourselves) by dashing in right before the store closed. We grabbed three apiece:

Strawberry, Cream Soda, and Peach for Kelli,

and Grape, Root Beer and Birch Beer for me!

(MINE, ALLLLLLL MINE! My Precious!)

Let me tell you, nothing was better that Sunday afternoon, after a long day on the road, than coming back to watch football on the couch with Dad and cracking a couple of "beers!"

UPDATE: I just found this Hartford Courant article about the possible future of Hosmers. They will be 100 in a few years, and could potentially entertain buyers as soon as 2012! Please guys, don't sell out. It's a great little family company that should stay in Romantic Willimantic.

How many days until Thanksgiving break? Um, Hosmer's Customer Service? Can I have a case pre-picked and packed for pick-up when I get off the bus? 'Kay? Thanks!

1 comment:

Drew's Dad said...

I want some... bring me some at christmas.... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!