______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Love My Librarian!

The Shushing Librarian is pleased to let you know that nominations are now being taken for Carnegie Corporation of New York/New York Times I Love my Librarian award*

Nominations are now being accepted for librarians in schools, colleges, community colleges and universities for the Carnegie Corporation of New York/New York Times I Love My Librarian Award. Administered by the American Library Association’s Public Information Office and Campaign for America’s Libraries, the award encourages library users to recognize the accomplishments of librarians for their efforts to improve the lives of people in their community.

Nominations for school and academic librarians continue through October 15. Nominations for public librarians opened on August 15 and run through October 1. All nominations are accepted electronically at www.ilovelibraries.org/ilovemylibrarian.

Up to 10 librarians in public, school and academic libraries will be selected honored at a ceremony and reception in New York at TheTimesCenter, hosted by The New York Times. Each winner also will receive a $5,000 cash award, a plaque and a $500 travel stipend to attend the awards reception. In addition, a plaque will be given to each award winner’s library. Nominees will be judged by a selection committee based on quality of service to library users, demonstrated knowledge of the library and its resources and commitment shown in helping library users.

Each nominee must be a librarian with a master’s degree from a program accredited by the ALA in library and information studies or a master’s degree with a specialty in school library media from an educational unit accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. Nominees must be currently working in the United States in a public library, a library at an accredited two- or four-year college or university or at an accredited K-12 school.

For more information, visit www.ilovelibraries.org/ilovemylibrarian.

*The Shushing Librarian is not asking for a nomination for herself or Auntie Nettie (I'm not worthy). She's just making you think about nominating one of those other librarians who serve to help you and your community.