______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Reentry is a ....

Happy 2008. I wish I had some wonderfully witty and wondrously wise words of wisdom for the New Year. Alas, all I could come up with is ... reentry is a real big #)(*@)%(!.

If the Holiday/December break falls mid-week and you are required to work the next business day after the holiday I propose the adoption of a gradual reentry program. While one can cease working cold turkey, the reentry stage should be gradual, as to not shock the nervous, psychic, electronic, and commuting infrastructures. We all may have maybe checked the e-mail and voicemail whilst away, but who really read and dealt with them?

I propose the following:
  • the first day should be a half day, leaving after "lunch." This day would be used to reacquaint oneself with the commute, slog through the various forms of mail, change the message setting on machine, and catch up on the interpersonal news;
  • the second day should be a three-quarter day, with early dismissal. One would begin to address the issues from all the mail, look realistically at new projects, and gear up for the year ahead;
  • the third day, unfortunately, would be a regular day. You should have caught up enough by now to remember why you enjoyed vacation so much, even with all the family fights, travel issues, etc., and look forward to the next weekend, and begin the countdown for the next three day weekend.

Who's with me? This also holds true for the July 4th time ....

2 comments:

testmonkey said...

"While one can cease working cold turkey, the reentry stage should be gradual...." Um, yeah. I like your idea, though there should be a gradual work reduction, too. I mean, for all those who don't work in government. Because really, a "gradual" work reduction pre-holiday already happens.

Flax Hill Gardener said...

I wish I had a gradual re-entry. I had to teach 60 high school kids at 7:40 this morning!