______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, December 17, 2007

Things that annoy me about ... winter


I have a feeling that this will be one of many posts on this topic. Forgive me in advance.
  • People who do not scrap ALL of the snow/ice off their cars, so it comes flying off the roof of their cars, obstructing your vision;

  • People who do not undig their cars from the street when it is warm, and thus cannot figure out how to get their cars out of the icebergs that have encased them;

  • People who steal my cleaned-out parking space;

  • People who spin their tires on said icebergs (it's called, slow and steady, turn and rock, people!);

  • People who do not shovel their walks after snow;

  • People who do not shovel their walks after the snow, rain, sleet, mixes that inevitably freeze;

  • Municipalities that do not do the same;

  • People who do not clean up after their dogs after they decide to "decorate the ice." (That's just gross. Now it's frozen until the next thaw and I have to see it);

  • Walking to the train dealing with these obstacles!

Now, aside from the dog, I have dealt with all of these issues as a a) former Rockie Mountain dweller, b) a New Englander, c) a car owner and operator, and d) person who had to park on the street. I know it's a pain, but if you deal with the issues immediately, and while it's above freezing, it's easier for you in the long run, avoids issues when you are running late, keeps the asphalt clear, and avoids pesky potential lawsuits.

It's going to be a long winter folks, can't we all make it easier on each other by showing some winter courtesy?
Thanks to old&gray for the very vivid illustration of what I mean. DON'T be like this guy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes to all of the above! But you are only walking now, don't own a shovel anymore, won't dare own a dog, are always running late, and just plain don't like the beauty of winter. When you moving to the South, Southwest, or the islands?

Anonymous said...

Wow. You've got the annoyances of winter covered, I do believe. One I'd like to add is when your jeans end up wet for the rest of the day after trudging through the slush. Wait...does that only happen to short people who wear their jeans too long?

Will we look forward to a "Things that annoy me about...spring...and summer...and fall" or is it just winter that you dislike? Might I suggest a tangent based on this post about the things that annoy you about dogs...or the things that annoy you about neighbors?

Auntie Nettie said...

To old&gray -- I don't always run late. Thank you very much. I have gotten better. As for the islands, South, and Southwest, it's too hot and I would like to remain melanoma free.

To anonymous -- jeans? to work? Get thee to a tailor!

I probably will have seasonal updates. Here's a preview:

Things that annoy me about ... spring: allergies

Things that annoy me about summer: humidity and people that don't cover up, and should

Things that annoy me about fall: allergies

Things that annoy me about ... my neighbors:
loud parties. (GROW UP! You aren't in a dorm anymore!);
"entertaining your XXXfriend" No one wants to wake up listening to you do the mattress mambo;
Slamming doors -- really!? Must you rattle the WHOLE building to let us know you are coming and going.