______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

Q: Why did the cookie cry? A: Because his mother was a wafer so long!

Found in Cape Cod Life, July 2012, Words of Remembrance by Brain Shortsleeve

Best Loved Poems of the American People
My Mother's Prayer

As I wandered round the homestead,
  Many a dear, familiar spot
Brought within my recollection
  Scenes I'd semingly forgot.
There the orchard meadow yonder,
  Here the deep, old-fashioned well,
With its old moss-covered bucket,
  Sent a thrill no tongue can tell.

Though the house was held by strangers,
  All remained the same within,
Just as when a child I rambled
  Up and down and out and in.
To the garret dark, ascending,
  Once a source of childish dread,
Peering through the misty cobwebs,
  Lo, I saw my trundle bed.

Quick, I drew it from the rubbish,
  Covered o'er with dust so long,
When, behold, I heard, in fancy,
  Strains of one familiar song,
Often sung by dear mother
  To me in that trundle bed;
"Hush, my dear, lie still and slumber,
  Holy angels guard thy bed."

As I listened to the music,
  Stealing on in gentle strain,
I am carried back to childhood,
  I am now a child again.
'Tis the hour of my retiring,
  At the dusky eventide,
Near my trundle bed I'm kneeling,
  As of yore, by Mother's side.

Hands are on my head so loving,
  As they were in childhood's days;
I with weary tones am trying
  To repeat the words she says.
'Tis a prayer in language simple
  As a mother's lips can frame,
"Father, Thou who are in Heaven,
  Hallowed ever be Thy name."

Prayer is over, to my pillow,
  With a good-night kiss, I creep,
Scarcely waking while I whisper,
  "Now I lay me down to sleep."
Then my mother over me bending,
  Prays in earnest words but mild,
"Hear my prayer, O Heavenly Father,
  Bless, O bless, my precious child."

Yet I am but only dreaming,
  Ne'er I'll be a child again,
Many years has that dear mother
  In that quiet churchyard lain.
But the memory of her counsels
  O'er my path a light has spread,
Daily calling me to heaven,
  Even from my trundle bed.
~ T.C. O'Kane

Mothers' prayers never cease, despite age, distance, separation of realms of existence. Isn't that a reassuring thing to know on this Mother's Day.

Love you Mom. No cookie bouquet today - but will call you soon.

xo Auntie Nettie

No comments: