______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Letters from Ollie J - August 21, 1983

In 1983 I was about to start middle school, so Grandma's advice was timely. Now that I think about it, I really must have "harkened" well. I met my friend Jenn in Sixth Grade and we've been friends ever since. I don't think my Grandmother could have picked anyone more appropriate for me if she had tried. If anything, this Mormon girl is the wilder and more adventuresome of the two of us!

Those spots Grandma referenced are most likely a form of skin cancer. Not only is there a history of age spots in the family, but it's most likely directly related to being raised on a working farm and then working the land for most of their adult lives. Mom has spots on her arms from all the working the fields she did too, not to mention the tanning. ... WEAR SUN SCREEN KIDS!

21 August 1983

[Temple Mission
Kensington, MD]

Dear [Granddaughter],

It was so nice to get your letter. Please forgive me for taking so long to answer.

I went home again with Uncle Hyrum. Found all well. Home looked good. The yard was nice. I should have raked up trash off yard around big Oak tree. But we picked green peas and Butter beans. Also picked dry peas and shelled them in the pea sheller Uncle Hyrum built. We went into town and I looked but didn’t buy much. Cousin Carol looked [for] dresses for Emily and Paula but didn’t find anything she liked.

Uncle Hyrum went to see Dr. Howard and had two spots burned off his face. Like I have had one on my hand. They are doing fine. We’ll let the Doctor see what he thinks this next week end. Yes I’ll ride down with him as he needs some one to keep him awake.

We have been busy at the temple which I like. But we could help lots more people if they could come up.

I am happy in the work. Not exactly sure when we’ll go home to stay. We have a meeting at the Temple this morning. Pres. Ezra T. Benson will be here to speak to us. So will go over and get dressed in my white dress and go up to top floor of Temple to hear what he has to tell us. What a privilidge[sic] to go to the Priesthood room. Every one that goes to temple don’t get to go there. (7th floor)

Sorry you got sick at my house. How you are all well now. It’s no fun to be sick.

I came in from temple Saturday and felt exhausted. So fell across couch and slept a couple hours. Didn’t even want to eat. Slept all night and felt better yesterday.

It is a little cooler here today and it feals[sic] good. We had few hot days too.

Supose[sic] you are nervous and excited about going back to school. A new one at that. But you will soon get the hang of it and love it too. Study and listen to your teacher. Learn all you can about lots of things. Your mom used to say, “Mama its hard.” I’d say “If you already knew this years work would be no fun because you wouldn’t learn any thing new.” Be careful crossing the streets and choose friend Carefully. May God bless you in this. Growing up is hard. I know and we need His (God) help always.

Take care

Grandma Loves you very dearly,

Love to hear about your first day at school. Yes this year 1983 school year.

No comments: