______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Vacation Photos - Grandparents

One of the best parts of vacation was watching my parents be grandparents. Since I haven't blessed them with this opportunity (and let's be frank, probably never will) and they live far, far away from the grand kids, Grumpa Max and Grandmary will spend HOURS with the kids when they can. Since visits can be months (or in my case, years apart), sometimes the kids can be shy, but they gradually warm up enough that they pull no punches or conceal the temper tantrums or tears*.



Grumpa Max and Grandmary


Amber playing with Grandmary

Grandmary being double teamed by Elle and Amber

Grandmary and Elle

Luckily Christina is a very patient, generous, lovely, and caring person and let all of us strange people a) invade her house b) stay for hours on end c) scare one kid and d) abscond with the other. Eventually she did have to rescue Elle, just to make sure the maternal bond was in place.


Looks like it still is
Drew got to spend time with Grandmary and Grumpa Max too, when he wasn't making me play endless round of Candyland**, cars, and put puzzles together, all while I was fighting off allergies to the original grandcat, Tippi.


Tippi, it must be said, was aloof from it all ... as only an aging cat can be.

Gosh darnit, isn't he just the cutest thing?


I did finally figure out why kids have to take so many naps. My theory is that they are very cute, very adorable, energy sucking vampires. They sap energy from the grownups, who try and cover up the "real story," by saying that naps are "good for kids."

Max2 napping

When asked why I had to take a nap too, Mom said: "I said so, that's why."

(I blame it on the allergy medication.)


She'll never it admit it, but they just wore out Grandmary completely.


* For my own protection, I didn't take many photos of tantrums or tears. Let's keep up some kind of illusion for future generations, I mean, really.


**Candyland rules with a 3 year old are non-existent. It's only about finding the Candy Character cards. It's Drew's World and we just exist to play games with him.