______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, June 23, 2008

Vacation Photos - Contrasts

I took a lot of photos on vacation. But it wasn't until I started posted them, that themes began to emerge. I got thinking about the past and the future, looking at contrasts and similarities.

Contrary to popular belief, the West isn't generally flat. Off the in distance could be many mesas, valleys, and other mountain ranges. If you look closely, sometimes you could count up to six different ranges. The more I travel out in the southwest, the more I am grateful that I was not one of my pioneering fore parents. I don't know how I would have handled dragging myself in prairie gear over the Canadian plains, down through the Rocky Mountain states, and then down to Dixie like my ancestors did. I'm pretty sure they would have left me on one of these mesas. I know I would have been the "butte" of many a family joke.


Also contrary to popular belief, it does snow in the spring in southern Utah. You just have to be up on one of these peaks when it happens. There is snow in those clouds, coming down on those mountaintops that they are obscuring. Really. Official weatherpeople said so and everything.


Architecture has come a LONG way. This is the Jacob Hamblin Homestead, one of the few remaining examples of early pioneer-era home-building in Santa Clara, Utah. You can take tours. I did a drive-by "shooting."


The locals call the lovely attraction below, the "bra." I think it looks more akin to the "grand Tetons." It's really an Aquatic Center. (Silly me, I didn't think it got that cold in southern Utah!)

Home cooking is always appreciated, especially when travelling. Nothing restores family harmony after travelling for 10 long hours, through neverending lines and dusty trails, like a home cooked meal (oh, and bathroom facilities and a gift shop). Luckily, we, in the modern age, have the luxury of rest stops. Behold the restaurant that saved this family on its most recent journey West. {Food in Mama + Food that Mama didn't have to kill/clean/cook = Happy Family!}

Bless you Petrol Pit Stops and the "jolly" lasses of the Iron Skillet, bless you!

Sadly, "home cooked" has a different connotation when faced with these ruins of some family's house.
Gas pumps sure have changed, and I'm not just talking about the prices.


Our travelling blog guest Diggity Dog* is checking out how much this is going to cost Auntie Nettie. All I can say is OUCH!


Still, in the end, the reason that most of us travel is to see family. Times and scenery may change, but it's still all about family.


*Diggity Dog is visiting from Jane's Garden over on Flax Hill. He travelling to all kinds of states on his journey. Aside from the State of Confusion on how he ended up with me, he went to Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and an Indian Reservation, before he was dognapped by my parents and went to California. He's currently en route to Cape Cod. With my mother! Stay tuned for lots of pictures of Diggity Dog's adventures.