______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Years Resolutions

I know it's the time of year when people share their resolutions for the upcoming months. However, I have a lousy time actually keeping them, so I stopped making resolutions many years ago when I realized I had the same three resolutions three years in a row.

This year instead I have a list of things I'd like to accomplish, or a plan of action on the things I'd like to achieve. While the list is pretty nebulous, it does not involve a set quantity of time, money, or things, i.e. I don't set a number on the pounds I'd like to lose; rather, I'd like to have my clothes fit better or be more fit. That kind of thing.

In 2009, I'd like to stop being afraid to try new things (more on that in a later post), to spend more time with friends and family, and, more importantly, to find the beauty and grace in things, rather than focusing on the negative. I recently read an interview with an actress who mentioned her "Grateful List" where you record the things about your day for which you are grateful. What a "grate" thing to help you focus on the positive in your life rather than the negative. (Though, we know it's more fun to blog about the negative!)

I was thinking about my day yesterday and here's the three things that I was most grateful for:

1) That the whipping rain and wind was not the snow and ice that affected the rest of the region.
2) How grateful I was that my boss was out ill, so I could sneak into the office at my usual late time, and ease my way back into the work week.
3) How grateful I was for the many many lovely Christmas letters and cards were waiting for me in the Post Office Box to off-set the equal number of bills that were also waiting.

I suspect that you won't see the results of the Grateful List every day, but I intend to try and do it everyday. I extend the same challenge to you. Find at least three things everyday that you are grateful for and document them. Who knows? If you begin to focus on the positive, maybe the difficulties of life will not seem quite so insurmountable.

What were you grateful for yesterday? Let me know.

No comments: