______________________________________________________________________________________________

PROGRAMMING NOTE from the Author and Archivist


So obviously I just stopped blogging on this platform. I'll get back to it eventually. Or not. I'm taking a break from all social media. It seemed necessary for my mental health.

The last few years have been busy and … challenging:

- 2015 Happened.
- 2016 Let's call it The Lost Year. (Obviously words failed me.)
- 2017 about broke me. Literally. Mentally.
- 2018 was ridiculous, proving 2017 was just a warm up. (Good thing I was already broken so it couldn't hurt as much.#2018TrashCanFire I thought things were going okay, but maybe not?)

- 2019 was such a blur. I know there were highlights, but then stuff happened and carried into the next year...

- And then in March#2020 really took a turn. Who can even categorize 2020? Do we dare?


I kinda want a do-over of some of the last few years. But life doesn’t work that way.


So for now, I'm hunkering down. Regrouping. Trying to stay safe and sort some stuff out.


Stay safe everyone. Stay well.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Wild (Mid)west Adventures of the Shushing Librarian - Part 1

S.L. back again, this time with the highly anticipated tales of my 2010 trip with Auntie Nettie’s friends, Bob and Christine, to Nebraska and South Dakota.

Perhaps you saw my earlier postcards giving you a glimpse of my grand road trip? This is the Full and More Complete Tale.

Why Nebraska and South Dakota you may ask?

Well, it turns out that B has always dreamed of riding cross country – on a Harley!

When it was time to plan their annual vacation, C recommended that they give it a try by starting their adventure in Omaha (where most of C’s family lives) and take the scenic route to the Black Hills. B was overwhelmed with joy at the idea and plans were made immediately. Auntie Nettie insisted (Hey - I asked politely! Thank you very much!) that I join them knowing how I’ve always wanted to spend time on a “hog” and see the Midwestern sites.

But, first a gal has to learn how to pack for such a trip. I was instructed to pack light and only bring the essentials.

Thank goodness C had an extra helmet for me since Auntie Nettie was unable to find one.
A gal needs lots of sunscreen and cash for this trip. As C helped me pack, she also helped herself to a celebratory glass of bubbly and toasted to our upcoming venture.I promised Auntie Nettie that I would keep track of my adventures so it was mandatory that I pack a journal for the road. C was pleased since she is still regrets not bringing one on their Italian vacation last year. (Stick with me kid, and I will teach you a thing or two!)After a pleasant car ride from Bedford Hills to Newark (the only airport that flies non-stop to Omaha), we arrived safely at the airport and anxiously waited for our flight. We're not sure if photos are allowed in the terminal anymore but C managed to sneak this one in. (I'm blind now.)C’s mom picked us up at the airport, and afterwards we found sometime to relax and discuss our dream vacations over a glass of wine.***

B felt that he could possibly fix my injury that was incurred a few years.

WARNING – extremely graphic photos, not for the faint of heart!

Don't say I didn't warn you!

I think I passed out from the pain, because I don't remember ANY OF THIS! Did I sign a release form for major sugery?

B’s attempts to put the action back into my swing were unsuccessful, so he patched me up as best he could, and left me to rest a bit.

Once recovered enough to go out, we filled our bellies at P.F Chang’s. It was a really long (and traumatic day), so we all turned in after watching a bit of pre-season football.

stay tuned for the next installment of my Wild (Mid)west Adventures

*** And once again we have the disclaimer that Auntie Nettie in no way imbibes of the alcohol. It is only me, The Shushing Librarian, drinking here. Okay! Let's just make that clear.

No comments: